Thursday, February 7, 2013

Do You Ever Feel Like You Will Never Be the Perfect Catholic?

I've been contemplating what it means to be a practicing Catholic.  I have come to the conclusion that I am a woefully horrible Catholic.  I am not a big fan of the Mass of the Ages.  I prefer to wear the mantilla, but am refraining at present until such a time as I have taught Frodo to not pull it off my head.  I hate wearing skirts and dresses unless they are full length because I absolutely detest showing my legs and therefore prefer slacks.  The Winter is too cold for dresses/skirts and the summer is too hot for stockings and going barelegged causes chaffing soreness in the heat. I prefer to attend mass together as a family even if it means that Bear and I have to tag-team Frodo in the narthex.  I don't give a crap how loud the other kids get, but I insist my kids behave and remain reverent. Honestly, absolutely the wrong Catholic preferences.

As far as following the teachings of Christ, or Christian attitude:
I love and hate the exact same people and very often the exact same time.  (Though I wonder though if is this isn't exactly what Jesus meant when at one point says that we should love our neighbours as our selves and yetat another time he says we are to hate our families if we are to follow Him.) I have family members who actively disobey church teachings and yet have stopped preaching to them, or haven't even attempted to start correcting them, because they would probably tell me to go to hell and God isn't like that and he will forgive the contracepting or the practicing homosexual, because Jesus is all about forgivenss and not about obeying rules. 

About my practice of Catholic duties and obligations, regarding general living of the life and vocation that I have chosen: I go to confession , but I desparately hate it. I feel most of the time that I will never be good enough.  I pray but it is never with the same zeal. I pray but impertfectly.  I am a mother but imperfectly. I am a horribly imperfect wife.  I still think Bear was not sane to marry me, and that if he wanted to he could probably use that as grounds for an annulment but he is still too nuts to take that option.

My main reason for not leaving the church and becoming a practitioner of the other two montheistic Abrahamic religions, Judaism and Islam: BAAAAAACCCOOOOOOON. I love bacon. 

So there you have it:  I am a horrible Catholic, not nearly as pious as I should, far from the gentle lamb, and nothing of the wolf we are required to be to be followers of the Christ.  But yet I'l keep going if that is alright.  If you consider me still worthy of being your sister in faith, pray for me so that I can somehow become the perfect Catholic that you hope to be.



6 comments:

Bear said...

Sweetums, thats why we're called "practicing" Catholics: In the hope that if we keep on working on it, we may one day be good at it.

mary333 said...

I really, really like Bear's answer. I've yet to meet a "perfect" Catholic and maybe Bear is right about the "practicing" part. Do you know any perfect Catholics? If you do I bet they are very irritating...

I have problems in most of the areas you mentioned here too. But God loves us both anyway. I went to Confession today and dreaded it until it was over with. I hate wearing dresses or skirts. I am an imperfect mother and wife. You get the picture, I'm sure. So don't become disheartened - you've got lots of company.

Jesus loves imperfect people - it was the "perfect" ones that fired up His anger.

Bacon isn't too bad either!

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

My Sun and Moon: Sweetum- what you think me a TROLL

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Mary: I hear you and you are correct, but it has more to do with the expressions of TRUE Catholicity expressed by the heavy hitters, and not just those who are still living but most especially those of the church triumphant.

mary333 said...

Now that's a different story altogether. Sigh.

Patience said...

I love bacon too!
I like wearing skirts and dresses but will qualify that with: skirts/dresses with leggings in the winter/ not tights etc. And longish full skirts in the summer with bare legs. (the length hids most of the scary evidence that I have borne 3 children! Sorry if TMI! LOL) If I had chafing; maybe I would wear short thin leggings underneath; chafing is bad.
I would like to wear a mantilla but not if I'm the only one except for elderly Filipino women. I did attend a Latin Mass at SVDP where a woman from HF was wearing a mantilla but doesn't at HF.
What is a perfect Catholic? If you're worried about it; you're striving rather than being smug; that's gotta count for something....

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.