Thursday, January 19, 2012

On hoaxes and deceivers

With a mantillaed nod to Terry over at Abbey Roads: I give you the testimony of Mother Agnes of Jesus which she gave re: canonization of St Theresa:

"About 1894 there appeared in France a series of self-styled revelations of the secrets of Freemasonry, published by a certain Dr. Bataille (Leon Taxil) and a woman called Diana Vaughan.  These accounts gripped the imagination of the French public for a while.  Later they were found to be false.  The Servant of God took a certain interest in them at first, but long before there was any official denial of them she told us that they were not to be believed.  Her only reason for rejecting them was the fact that Diana Vaughan once spoke against episcopal authority. 'That kind of thing cannot come from God, ' she said." - St. Therese of Lisieux By Those Who Knew Her

It is interesting that this great saint took as her proof that one could not be trusted was how and what one said of  the bishop.  Yet we live in a day and age, where it appears that we, the laity, myself included, dare to suggest that we know better and that we are better than those whom God has placed above us. Very often a bishop with whom we might not agree is referred to as the bishop who succeeded Judas Iscariot. Except that When Judas damned himself, his successor was Matthias.  The "fallen" apostle was replaced.  None of our bishops are successors to Judas, rather, if anything they would be successors of Mathias, or the last apostle called by Christ himself, Paul. Some have suggested that I worship the bishops, I do not, I worship Christ, at home, in church, in scripture, in the Eucharist. But I do acknowledge the nobility of the bishop. And the duty of obedience I have to him(my bishop), even as I obey my pastor.

3 comments:

Freyr said...

In all of the Catholic Church there are only two bishops who matter to me. One lives in Rome and the other lives in the rectory on Church Street. I owe them fealty... I am their man. It has nothing to do with whether I agree with them or any virtue they may possess. It rather has to do with who they are and who I am. I am profoundly mistrustful of anyone who does not get this simple relation. That includes folks who insist on treating their bishop like a CEO.

ignorant redneck said...

OK--Go Ahead, make me feel guilty! I will say that I support episcopal authority, believe in apostolic succession, and hold the sacraments celebrated by Bishops to be valid, regardless of what I think of that bishop.

I also obey my Bishop, even in things I disagree with (not kneeling for communion, which I long to do, etc).

But as for respecting an individual bishop, well, respect is earned. That may make wrong however, I will admit that.

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Red, you mistake my attempt. This has nothing to do with personal respect.This has to do with respecting the authority of the bishop, not respecting him who wields such authority.

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.