Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Resolutions

I dread New Years.

Every Year my children are told at school that they must make a new year's resolution.  I used to every year, and the result would always be that by February, at the latest, I would be in the doldrums because a: It was the February Blues, and I had prolly blown my resolution.

Now about seventeen years ago, I asked Bear if he ever got dejected about breaking new years Resolutions.  And he said that every since he made one back in grade school and never broke it he wasn't about to make a new one.

The resolution he made:  Never again make a New year's Resolution. He has kept that resolution for over 25 years, and has never broken it.

I have kept that same resolution for 16 years.

Galadriel made the same resolution a few years ago, but hers only last a year at a time. ( I resolve not to make a New Year's Resolution this year. Which both makes and breaks the resolution at the same time. Since there is no way to keep it and it happens simultaneously, she doesn't have time to get stressed or feel guilty.

Frodo is too young

Arwen, unfortunately is still obligated to make resolutions because her teachers want them to write it down and she has to approve them.  She is constantly trying to come up with one that won't be too hard and yet pass muster with the teacher.  Honestly, I really think this "approval" defeats the whole concept of New Years Resolutions., But around here we all defeat the purpose of the New Year's Resolution.

Don't get us wrong, we still endeavour to become better Christians. We resolve to sin no more or at least to sin less ( I always thought resolving (promising) to sin no more was more wishful thinking than truth, and if you can't tell God the truth what's the point in making the promise in the first place well then.but ... I digress) during confession.

4 comments:

Robert said...

It's god to see that I'm not the only one who finds New Year's resolutions a monumental waste of time.
I do, however, want to wish you and your family all the best for the new year.

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Thank you and we return the wishes to you and yours

Dominique Gerald Cimafranca said...

Happy New Year, Puff! Thanks for visiting my blog (and commenting.) Looks like I found a new blog to follow.

Left-footer said...

Very wise thinking on New Year resolutions, which I never make.

Happy Epiphany, and God bless!

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.