Friday, December 2, 2011

Archbishop Collins is a good Archbishop, but...

I like him, I really do.

I don't always agree with his decisions, but I do believe that his heart is in the right place, fully in the faith and loyal to Rome.

I am not going to talk about his misstep during the HINI scare when he temporarily suspended Communion on the tongue.  (He or his advisors were probably advised by the Toronto Public Health, and they advise from a medical and not a Canonical point of view) - I could talk about that, but I won't

I appreciate that our Archbishop is still surrounded by the previous guard.  But what I really wish is that Archbishop Collins would suspend the custom of giving parish priests permission and authority to confirm confirmation students of their own parish.  When I was a kid a bishop confirmed me.  It was not the archbishop, it was an auxiliary bishop (+ Pearce Lacey) but he was a Bishop.

Galadriel was confirmed by the Parish Priest having been granted full permission to do so.  The reason for this was the previous archbishop's desire to have the children confirmed during the Easter Season. (I understand that New Catholics are confirmed at the Easter Vigil, by the pastor, I am NOT talking about that)

And there was no way the Archbishop and his auxiliaries could confirm everyone in all the parishes in the weeks of Easter, the solution was to grant each parish priest the authority to confirm HIS parish's confirmandi, no one elses.

It is a neat argument.  Very neat in fact.  Set up a desire that can't be fulfilled and then use a provision in canon law that should be used for exceptions and run with it.

The Problem with the argument is it's premise.  There is NO canonical reason or stipulation that demands or requires that confirmations occur during the Easter Season, especially at Pentecost.  I would rather concentrate on the Canon Rule that says the Ordinary Conferror of Confirmation is to be the Ordinary(another word for the Bishop)

As a case in point I give you Archbishop Terry Pendergast's post about Confirmations during Advent.  He doesn't say anything, except that they occurred.


4 comments:

Vox Cantoris said...

I couldn't agree with you more...about the Archbishop and about Confirmation.

My Confirmation was administered by Bishop Marrocco before he became Bishop of Peterborough. I still have my picture with him. It is so rare for a parish to have the bishop or for youth to meet a bishop that this really should be the norm.

Oh, Bishop Lacey is doing very well. He is 94 or so and I had the pleasure of being his chauffeur one night about 18 months ago on behalf of my Knights Council. He is sharp as a tack and still ministers to those at his condominium.

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Thanks for the info on Bishop Lacey.

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

To whoever voted this piece as "uncharitable".. What did I write that lacked charity?

It was never my intention to be uncharitable.

Please point where I lack charity.

Vox Cantoris said...

A "lurker" no doubt.

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.