Thursday, November 3, 2011

My mom

My mom is 86 years old and forgetful.  She wants to go to Sunday Mass, but she forgets it's Sunday, she forgets the Mass is scheduled for 8:00 am, she just forgets. There is NO way I can get to her that early in the morning to get her ready etc etc. There is NO Saturday evening mass to which I would be able to take her. Her parish doesn't have Mass on Saturday evening.

The next best Mass would be Friday evening at 7:30p.m.

There is NO way for me to help her with her Sunday observance. This is more than her wanting to receive Holy Communion?She wants to attend the Parrochial Mass.  She wants to place her envelope in the Collection Basket. She wants to physically be in church. I suggested I could take her to Friday Night Mass, but she is concerned that it wouldn't suffice for the Lord's Day Obligation.

My question to anyone who might have an answer:

Would attending Mass on Friday Evening be acceptable if not perfect obedience to her attending Mass on Sunday?

2 comments:

The Ranter said...

You know, I'm not sure. Phatmass.com has a Q&A section that you could ask there and get a very knowledgeable answer. http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/13-catholicism-questions-%26-answers/
The people who answer all have at least a bachelor's or master's degree in Theology.

Anonymous said...

Puff, she would not be required to hear Mass given her age and health restrictions. The Church does not expect her to do that which is not possible. It would not a sin for her to miss. Friday would not count as Sunday.

Vox.

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.