Thursday, October 20, 2011

Madame Curie and Our Lady were both Wives and Mothers

"You are just a housewife and a mother: what do you know?"

Living on an university campus can make for interesting discussions.  Most of the time, when I find myself having a discussion with a student (either undergrad or grad) they are pretty much pleasant and respectful.  As long as all they know about me is that I have 2 BAs (Psych 88) English(97).  But as soon as they find out I am a wife and mother, my opinions are dismissed.  I find this very insulting attitude of the academic world. As though one's intelligence and mental acumen are somehow destroyed upon accepting a golden ring and producing offspring.

To the intellectual chauvinists I say: You overbearing,self righteous son of Science: Go tell Madame Curie that she should be quiet and  just do the cooking and cleaning for Pierre. Women don't lose brain cells by putting on a gold ring, and they certainly can tend children and continue to contribute to the intellectual community. Would you tell Madame Curie that when she speaks she is merely expelling hot air?

I wish I could complain that this only happens in academic circles.  Unfortunately it also happens in the religious circles.  I find that even the most devout, Catholics,not just men, but unmarried women who feel that once a woman accepts the vocation of wife and mother she should not engage in any religious discussion, and she is very often unceremoniously dumped as having anything important to say.

To these instead I say:
You overbearing, self righteous son of Adam, go say that to Our Lady's face. Our Lady's vocation was that of Wife and Mother. Go tell her that after her fiat and bearing Christ she is of no more value or worth to the Church.

6 comments:

Bear-i-tone said...

"Curie", dear.

Left-footer said...

Marja Skłodowska-Curie, proszę państwa!

She was 100% Polish, and patriotic with it, and married Pierre Curie, a Frenchman. She named Polonium after Poland.

Puff the Magic Dragon - Agree with you absolutely. University campuses are unfortunately full of idiots.

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Husband, thank you.

I've corrected the error.

Left-footer, what does the polish mean?

Left-footer said...

Proszę = I ask, request
Państwa is accusative form of państwo = lady and gentleman or ladies and gentlemen.

Sorry I thought you'd Google Translate it. :-)

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Left-Footer:
Thank you kindly. In all honesty, it never occurred to me to google translate it.

ignorant redneck said...

YEA!!!!!! You said it!!!

I unfortunately have run into the "Catholic Snob Approach" far to many times. It's because, I think, too many Catholics have bought into the mainstream of Western Society, which is incompatible with the faith. Two masters, and all that.

So many think that actually being a mom is a sign of stupidity that it riles me up. So much for feminism as it has trickled down into the minds of the masses.

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.