Sunday, October 16, 2011

On re-discernment of one's vocation

When a priest suffers from a doubt of vocation, he is generally sent to re-discern his priesthood. IF after some time, he discerns that his doubt was not due to a lack of real vocation but something else, he is given help to resume his pastoral duties .

But if he should discern that indeed he made a mistake he will be released from his vows and set free. In some cases he may even be free to marry.

Now, If I shoudl feel that I might have made a major mistake in choosing as my vocation the role of wife and mother, what do I get----------tough noogies.


There is something wrong here!  More later, after I think about it!

2 comments:

ignorant redneck said...

Two things come to mind--

1) We need wives and Moms to continue the race, which makes y'all more important than priests. The same with Dads. Of course, we also need more formation for marriage than we get!

2) Since my pastor assures me I have no calling what so ever, and no real place in the Church other than financial contributions, I have no vocation to become confused about--although that's kinda confusing.

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

I agree with everything you've said.

My difficulty is that the vows of a priest can be dismissed because of a rethink.

The vows of a husband or wife cannot.

Sounds unfair. If the marriage is indissoluable, then the vows of Holy Orders should be as well. Why the double standard?

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.