Monday, August 1, 2011

Suffer the Little Children, Just Not at Mass

NB: I AGREE THAT NOISY CHILDREN SHOULD BE TENDED TO BY THEIR PARENTS, AND HUSHED, WHEN POSSIBLE.  BUT IT ISN'T JUST THAT THEY MIGHT MAKE NOISE;  IT'S THAT THEY ARE NOT STANDING OR SITTING OR KNEELING STOCK STILL. EVEN IF THEY AREN'T MAKING NOISE, JUST CATCHING HIM DOING SOMETHING NON REVERENTIAL, LIKE SMILING AT ME FROM OVER HIS FATHER'S SHOULDER, IS VERY DISTRACTING -DON'T YOU KNOW; OR WANTING TO WALK AROUND AT THE BACK OF THE CHURCH, BECAUSE HE JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE GOOD LORD HAS GIVEN HIM THE ABILITY TO WALK, INSTEAD OF MAKING HIM LAME. THESE MAY BE QUIET ACTIVITIES, BUT THEY ARE SO DAMNED DISTRACTING THEY DISTURB MY MASS- BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT MASS IS ABOUT ME worshipping God.

Matthew 18:10

New International Version (©1984)
"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

New Living Translation (©2007)
"Beware that you don't look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.


English Standard Version (©2001)
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.


New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

International Standard Version (©2008)
"See to it that you do not despise one of these little ones, because I tell you, their angels in heaven always have access to my Father in heaven.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"Be careful not to despise these little ones. I can guarantee that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father, who is in heaven.
King James Bible
Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

American King James Version
Take heed that you despise not one of these little ones; for I say to you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

American Standard Version
See that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, that in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Bible in Basic English
Let it not seem to you that one of these little ones is of no value; for I say to you that in heaven their angels see at all times the face of my Father in heaven.


Douay-Rheims Bible
See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Darby Bible Translation
See that ye do not despise one of these little ones; for I say unto you that their angels in the heavens continually behold the face of my Father who is in the heavens.

English Revised Version
See that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, that in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Webster's Bible Translation
Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Weymouth New Testament
"Beware of ever despising one of these little ones, for I tell you that in Heaven their angels have continual access to my Father who is in Heaven.

World English Bible
See that you don't despise one of these little ones, for I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Young's Literal Translation
'Beware! -- ye may not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you, that their messengers in the heavens do always behold the face of my Father who is in the heavens,

Matthew 19:14
New International Version (©1984)
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

New Living Translation (©2007)

But Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children."

English Standard Version (©2001)
but Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

International Standard Version (©2008)

Jesus, however, said, "Let the little children come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to people like these."

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Jesus said, "Don't stop children from coming to me! Children like these are part of the kingdom of God."

King James Bible
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

American King James Version
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come to me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

American Standard Version
But Jesus said, Suffer the little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for to such belongeth the kingdom of heaven.

Bible in Basic English
But Jesus said, Let the little ones come to me, and do not keep them away: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But Jesus said to them: Suffer the little children, and forbid them not to come to me: for the kingdom of heaven is for such.

Darby Bible Translation
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and do not hinder them from coming to me; for the kingdom of the heavens is of such:

English Revised Version
But Jesus said, Suffer the little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.


Webster's Bible Translation
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not to come to me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.


Weymouth New Testament
Jesus however said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them; for it is to those who are childlike that the Kingdom of the Heavens belongs."

World English Bible
But Jesus said, "Allow the little children, and don't forbid them to come to me; for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to ones like these."

Young's Literal Translation
But Jesus said, 'Suffer the children, and forbid them not, to come unto me, for of such is the reign of the heavens;'
From the Third Typical Edition of the GIRM (2002) to come INTO effect in English this Advent

Quod apte fiet si, attentis natura aliisque adiunctis uniuscuiusque coetus liturgici, universa celebratio ita disponatur, ut consciam illam, actuosam atque plenam participationem fidelium inducat, corporis nempe et animi, fide, spe et caritate ferventem, quae ab Ecclesia exoptatur et ab ipsa celebrationis natura postulatur, et ad quam populus christianus vi baptismatis ius habet et officium.[28]

My Translation
This result can truly be obtained, if, keeping in mind the nature and other characteristics of each liturgical assembly, the whole celebration becomes ordered in such a way as to bring the faithful to a knowing, active, and full, exterior and interior, ardent of faith, hope and charity; participation vividly desired by the Church and requested by the same nature of the celebration, to which the Christian people have a duty and a right by way of their baptism.[28]

[28] Cf. Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium, no. 14.

Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium


14. Mother Church earnestly desires that all the faithful should be led to that fully conscious, and active participation in liturgical celebrations which is demanded by the very nature of the liturgy. Such participation by the Christian people as "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a redeemed people (1 Pet. 2:9; cf. 2:4-5), is their right and duty by reason of their baptism.


How are children supposed to "be led to that fully conscious and active participation in liturgical celebrations which is demanded " if they are to be left at home.  How many families do you know will have most of family leave to go to mass at 8:30 for 9 mass and then get home by 10:30 and then wait for  the babysitter to get home at 1:30 before sitting down to brunch or lunch?  Chances are whoever stays home with infant/child will not go to mass and therefore the babysitter will not be able to fulfill his Sunday Obligation. But really, honestly, who cares if someone misses mass; it's a legitimate reason for missing mass, isn't it? Who cares if families are broken up and don't go to mass together?  What's so important about family unity at Mass, anyway?

But then there is the story the saint (forgot which one) who was put in charge of children.
And he was trying to get them to sit still.

"Stop moving" they obeyed for five minutes then the fidgeting started again

"Sit still" again obedience for five minutes

Finally the holy man said, "Stay still, if you can!"

Growing flesh and bones can't stay still. It's how God created all of us. Why do I think he doesn't want to see it? Why would He think that a 14 month old wanting to walk around during mass, because the Good Lord granted him the blessing of being able to walk, somehow shows a lack of reverence?  Should children be mute and lame and paralyzed before they can exercise their baptismal right to attend mass? They should just have to wait until such an age when they can be taught the importance of the Mass.   Yeah, teach a child that mass is important, and you only go if you can behave.  Because, I want my mass my way, without distractions. Then again, maybe my being distracted isn't the kids' faults; my own sloth is to blame- nah, it's just that I want to see everyone reverencing God in the same way I do.

As a Catholic I respect all life from conception to natural death, and I pray for an end to abortion, but just don't bring your toddlers to Mass. They are unable to reverence God according to the GIRM. 
Then again that last statement will lead you back to the beginning of this post.

2 comments:

Dim Bulb said...

I was involved in a discussion on this issue in the commbox of The Cafeteria Is Closed blog. I used the comments I mad there to make up a blog post a few years ago.

mary333 said...

Now I understand why you wrote this post, Puff.

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.