Saturday, July 23, 2011

Transubstantiation, Eucharistic Miracles, and Catholic Comfort Levels

I have a question:  Are we supposed to eat miracles?

As Catholic we firmly and devoutly believe that during the Holy Mass, the bread and wine(and water) become the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The form doesn't change, and yet we fully believe that it is the body and blood of Christ.  I believe this with my whole being, I teach this to my children, and I explain this to errant 'Catholics.'

Then I read how this is proven through different Eucharistic Miracles (Aside, every mass is an Eucharistic Miracle, but for this essay let me be clear, by Eucharistic Miracle, I refer to events like in Lanciano, where the Bread and Wine(with water) were changed in form to flesh(heart) and blood (AB).  Now I should point out that this is certified a true miracle by Rome. So I must assume that the miracle isn't that it turned to just anyboday's flesh and blood, but Christ's flesh and blood.

Now, I can understand clearly why Christ would wish to dispel the monk's doubt and allow the miracle.  Prove, in essence that when he said  in John 6: "
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.

My question, in Lanciano we have, in tangible form, the body and blood or Christ, and...why is it still around?


If, as Catholics, really believe it is the flesh and blood of Christ, and we really believe that we must eat and drink of the Body and Blood of Christ, shouldn't it have been consumed.  We have no problem consuming the body and blood, soul and divinity of Christ when it LOOKS like bread and wine, but given His body and blood in the form of body and blood, we shrink away. We would never dream of actually eating His flesh and blood. Why?   Instead, it was locked away, revered as a most sacred relic.  We wouldn't dream of eating it. Even though we are commanded to.  Christ can't possibly mean to eat the miracle: to eat his Flesh and Blood when it looks like Flesh and Blood?

There are two possible reasons why no one would dare eat the miracle of Lanciano, either because one doesn't really believe in the miracle, and it isn't really the Flesh and Blood of Christ, or:  obeying Christ is more palatable when His Body and Blood doesn't look like Flesh and Blood.

Just something I've been wondering about

1 comment:

ignorant redneck said...

OK--this is a thought provoking post, about what we are really thinking when we co to communion, or refrain from doing so!

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.