Monday, June 20, 2011

Bear and Puff are Horrible parents

Conversation

Bear (paraphrasing Robert Heinlein) : You see kids, it's like this: A family is a mixture of anarchy and tyranny, without the slightest shred of democracy.

Galadriel: What does that mean?

Bear: In practical terms, it means you and the younger kids are free to do as you please, unless Mom and I say otherwise, which is not subject to debate, vote, or appeal.

Galadriel: That's not fair!

Bear: True.

Puff: True. And it gets worse. If I've said, "No," and Dad says, "Yes,"  the answer is still  - no.

Bear: And if I've said, "No," and Mom says, "Yes," the answer is still - no.

Galadriel:  But why?

Puff: Because the one who said no, may have a very good reason that the other( parent)  doesn't know about.

Bear: In other words, NO trumps YES

Galadriel: That's not fair.

5 comments:

thedivinelamp said...

Galadriel, I have a plan. Sign up for a course in logic when you start college. Soon you'll be running circles around statements like "NO trumps YES". Oh, sure, you still wont get your way, but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that dialogue with your parents has become much more annoying for them,and this at their expense!

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Dim, encouraging her to go to University, I welcome.
Encouraging her to against.
Exodus 20:12, well, not so much

The Ranter said...

I love it!

Dim Bulb said...

Well, I was just trying to crack a joke, not turn her into Absalon ;)

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

I know, but she reads the blog, and have to sound like I have no sense of humour. After all, "Moms are no fun, remember"

Scripture to keep in mind

Six things there are, which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth: [17] Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, [18] A heart that deviseth wicked plots, feet that are swift to run into mischief, [19]A deceitful witness that uttereth lies, and him that soweth discord among brethren. [20] My son, keep the commandments of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother. ***Cf:Douay-Rheims Proverbs 6: 16-20

DISCLAIMER

I declare that I have no intent to acknowledge, distribute or encourage anything contrary to Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the Apostolic See. I submit myself and all the contents of this blog to the judgment of the Church.